Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

We're planning to start a regular blog column called "Ask Brendan." This is your chance to have your burning questions answered by Brendan. What's on your mind? Question about the Thrive Diet? Question about racing? Hey, we may even make him answer personal questions! Post questions below and we'll get them answered in his blog column.

Tags: Q&A, ask, blog, brendan, questions

Views: 4101

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Does Brendan take an iron supplement/did he during IM training? If so, which brand? If not, how did he prevent himself from becoming anemic?

Hi Bredan, I have a pretty aggressive race schedule for 2012 (I ran two 15k's and a 1/2 marathon in 2011 all on a non-structured training plan).  What can you recommend a 16-20 week training plan for both a 1/2 marathon and a full marathon goal?  Thanks, Clay from Beaver Falls, NY

Brendan,

What do you do on a bad run day? 

Oxygen absorbs Iron. If you are eating iron-rich plants such as chia seeds, and/or taking iron supplements, you may remain deficient. This would be because you lack oxygen. You can use ChlorEsseence (Chlorella) by Sequel, which I'm sure Brendan uses to up his oxygen levels therefore allowing Iron to be easily absorbed by the body.

tribuddha said:

Does Brendan take an iron supplement/did he during IM training? If so, which brand? If not, how did he prevent himself from becoming anemic?

Reading, Reading BUT....I am trying to figure out this plan..It's a great plan for endurance athlete's but will it work for your gym/yoga girl..For the last 2 years I have been following a weight training meal plan (6 meals a days, lots of protein, veggies and Quinoa)..as I have stated to swich over to Thrive I have noticed my leaness going away..The plan has a lot of nuts/seeds..Do I need the prep drink and the recovery drink..Normally I would just do a protein drink 1 hour after weight training..Any input would be helpful..I love the plan and need to understand the best way forward for me..

Oh I'm 40 5'6 about 115 lbs :)

Thaks so much

K

Here is an entire thread with a lot questions for brendan:

http://www.vegacommunity.com/forum/topics/vega-one-downgrade-from-w...

Brendan, why does Vega One not follow the principles of your Thrive Diet as set forth in your books?

Are there any special dietary considerations that should be made for a nursing mother and toddlers? I and my toddler have been eating a plant-based whole food diet for a few months now and I'm feeling pressure from others to give my son more of what the government feels is necessary for children (i.e. milk, cheese, hydrogenated peanut butter). I have continued to give my son a multi-vitamin, but is there anything else I should be giving him or myself? 

Rachel, I am not Brendan (obviously), but I think you can find some of the information you seek at the excellent Vegan Health website.  While you're there, also follow their link to information on the book Vegan For Life.

Hi, looking for advice/support (anything)....I am an avid road cyclist that is on the injured list.  Fell a few weeks back, and wound up with a case of patella femoral syndrome and have been off cycling/training for 3 weeks now and am struggling....I cannot do any cardio (no riding, no running, no elliptical etc..)  and cannot do some of my more social&activities activities like indoor climbing.

I am struggling with being off the bike (losing my outlet), losing fitness, getting out of shape etc... 

I am taking Maca and Chloressence  (read Brendan took them both during his recovery), doing stretching, etc..  Any ideas what else I can do till I am back? 

Lin

I can sympathize with the frustrations of injuries. Think about it as a good time to learn something new, read lots, rework your training schedule, and how much stronger you will be once you get back. You will be amazed how quickly you will bounce back.

Linda Scott said:

Hi, looking for advice/support (anything)....I am an avid road cyclist that is on the injured list.  Fell a few weeks back, and wound up with a case of patella femoral syndrome and have been off cycling/training for 3 weeks now and am struggling....I cannot do any cardio (no riding, no running, no elliptical etc..)  and cannot do some of my more social&activities activities like indoor climbing.

I am struggling with being off the bike (losing my outlet), losing fitness, getting out of shape etc... 

I am taking Maca and Chloressence  (read Brendan took them both during his recovery), doing stretching, etc..  Any ideas what else I can do till I am back? 

Lin

Thank you....tribuddha!  I know as athletes, injuries come with the territory. 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service