Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

We're planning to start a regular blog column called "Ask Brendan." This is your chance to have your burning questions answered by Brendan. What's on your mind? Question about the Thrive Diet? Question about racing? Hey, we may even make him answer personal questions! Post questions below and we'll get them answered in his blog column.

Tags: Q&A, ask, blog, brendan, questions

Views: 4043

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for asking this Gisele .. i am in the same state ... except haven't tried the clams haha!! I am resisting supplementing but i fear the low iron is affecting my performance ....
dana

Gisele Thibault said:
Hi Brendan,
What is your opinion on people who are anemic. For the last year, my iron level is low and supplements prescribed by my physician did not change my ferritin count at all. I tried to increase my iron level through natural foods (spinach, legumes, clams, no caffeine, more foods with Vitamin C,...) but no affect on my iron level. What should you do if your body does not absorb iron??

Gisèle
It took me a while to figure it out, but I use a sauce pan with a little oil on the bottom and heat it to 3-4 on my burner (gas). Then I add about a tablespoon of amaranth and quickly cover the pot. I hold it just above the flame and shake the pan. Keep doing it until it stops pops.

Miriam Hardin said:
Two things: When making the sports drink and recovery drinks that have dates--any tips for blending the dates thoroughly so that they don't settle? For some reason this seems to be more of a problem when I do the lemon-lime recovery drink than when I make the lemon-lime sports drink.

The other thing: Tips on popping amaranth? I tried it in an air popper, as suggested in the Thrive books, but the grains were so small and light that almost all of them flew right out before they had any chance to pop. Then I tried putting them into a paper bag and using the "popcorn" setting on my microwave, but then I just ended up burning them. ::sulk::
Becky: Thank you so much for this--I was really bummed when I wasn't able to get the amaranth to pop. :)

Becky said:
It took me a while to figure it out, but I use a sauce pan with a little oil on the bottom and heat it to 3-4 on my burner (gas). Then I add about a tablespoon of amaranth and quickly cover the pot. I hold it just above the flame and shake the pan. Keep doing it until it stops pops.

Miriam Hardin said:
Two things: When making the sports drink and recovery drinks that have dates--any tips for blending the dates thoroughly so that they don't settle? For some reason this seems to be more of a problem when I do the lemon-lime recovery drink than when I make the lemon-lime sports drink.

The other thing: Tips on popping amaranth? I tried it in an air popper, as suggested in the Thrive books, but the grains were so small and light that almost all of them flew right out before they had any chance to pop. Then I tried putting them into a paper bag and using the "popcorn" setting on my microwave, but then I just ended up burning them. ::sulk::
Brendan, I have a question about salba. In Thrive Fitness, it is described as an heirloom variety chia seed that resemble white poppies. Recently I went to our local health-food co-op and, in their bulk section, I did not see anything labeled as salba but did find white chia. I bought a bunch hoping that it is another name for the same thing, but was hoping to verify that here. Thanks!
Hi Miriam,

Yes - Salba is a brand name of white chia seed.
Ooh, great--thanks for the reply, Jill. :)

Jill said:
Hi Miriam,

Yes - Salba is a brand name of white chia seed.
high altitude & trail run training. how will this change the "diet"?

i live @ almost 8000 ft. my flat run training goes pretty much the same as when i lived lower.

when i do altitude gain (and/or) trail runs i'm still figuring out how to change things around.

for example:
the one thing i found right away - more water in the sport drinks. i made one of the sport drinks for a mountain run. at each aid station i kept adding h20 b/c the consistency was too dense for my stomach. once i added lots of water (not sure how much unfortunately) i could drink it.

any suggestions at all would be appreciated. (pre / during / post eating, regular meals, etc.)

thank you
i hope all be wonderful
:)
HELLO; BRENDAN, I HAVE BEEN ON VEGA MEAL REPLACEMENT FOR 4 YRS AND AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT; I WALK ABOUT 3 MILES A DAY WITH LIGHT YOGA, I HAVE VEGA BREAKFAST /LUNCH WITH FRUIT AND A MAIN MEAL IN THE EVENING , HOW CAN I IMPROVE ON  THIS?
I suffer from severe IBS and am looking for a meal replacement that doesn't cause bloating & attacks I hope that I have found the answer but I'm very nervous. Also I exercise 6-7 days a week; a combo of 3 bootcamps for an hr; eliptical or treadmill and weight lifting 3-4 days a week. With that said if I take your meal replacement can I also take the pre sport and after sport drinks? Would it be too much ? Would just taking the meal replacement be enough ? HELP !!! Thanks:)

Hi Brendan,

I would like to know why the Vega Sport Performance Optimizer is noted as having a Broad-spectrum of electrolytes when there is only Sodium and Potassium listed in the Supplement Facts whereas Hammer Nutrition's HEED also has Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Chromium and Chloride.

Thank you, Michael

Hi Brendan, in your pancake recipe that calls for "popped amaranth", I have had no success popping the amaranth, almost ruined my popcorn maker, didn't work well in a pan for me either, what would you suggest as an alternative ingredient?

thanks

Donna

HELLO; BRENDAN ;  COULD WE HAVE A WORKSHOP ON COOKING VEGAN MEALS?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service