Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

heres my story. since the last couple of months i have been slowly gaining weight. i have not changed anything in my diet and i continue excersising at the same pace like i did before. i am extremely getting frustrated at this and people been noticing and commenting on the change. i have gotten my thyroid checked and it seems to be normal 1.75. don't know what to do? or what it can be.. i need sum answers

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey there margo.you can still have thyroid issues even if your numbers are 'normal.'I recommend ordering some helpful books on amazon,getting educated,and then finding a good endocrinologist in your area.I do not have books right infront of me,but you CAN be hypothyroid with normal numbers.do you have other symptoms?
yes thats the thing i have a lot of symptoms of it:
* Fatigue
* Weight gain
* Constipation
* Depression
* achy muscles
* Shortness of breath
* Dry, brittle hair and skin
* Memory problems
* Cold intolerance
* Puffiness in face
* Hair loss

if you can find out the books for me that would be awesome..were you miss diagnosed with it??
have you thought about any other causes?

how are you sleeping? and have you been tested for celiac disease or gotten tested for food allergies? they can cause symptoms like the ones you listed.

hang in there!
-rebekah

margo said:
yes thats the thing i have a lot of symptoms of it:
* Fatigue
* Weight gain
* Constipation
* Depression
* achy muscles
* Shortness of breath
* Dry, brittle hair and skin
* Memory problems
* Cold intolerance
* Puffiness in face
* Hair loss

if you can find out the books for me that would be awesome..were you miss diagnosed with it??
I must echo Rebekah statement about sleep. I've noticed i'm experiencing the same thing recently, yet i've added more exercise to my routine (gym 2x a week plus cycling 3x a week). My sleeping patterns have been quite poor for the last 6 years. I've actually found i have to exercise as late as 10pm for my body to fatigue enough to get decent sleep. Take note of your sleeping patters and see what you come up with.
What is your height? How much did you weight before and how much do you weight now? You have made no changes to your diet at all?
The mistake a lot of doctors make is that the normal range for the thyroid is exactly that...a range. Some people's "normals" are more toward the top end of the range and some are more toward the bottom of the range. I would guess that if you are gaining weight and you have not changed anything, that you may be slightly hypothyroid. You should be at least maintaining your weight if you have not changed anything. Are you on BC or have had your BC changed or have you been taking any medications where the side effects are weight gain? If you have the answers to these questions, you need to discuss them with your physician. Remember that when you visit your doctor, you are the customer and it is you who is in charge. Make sure he or she is spending enough time helping you find a solution to your issue. There are other health problems where unexplained weight loss or gain is a symptom.
Those are the textbook symptoms of hypothyroidism. I agree with Holly...and do it ASAP. I would try to find a naturopath also. There are some great natural ways to treat this especially with nutritional therapies and supplementation. Try to also find the endocrinologist.
thankyou guys for the advice. i had my first visit with the natuorpath today and back next week for a followup

Andrew John Connolly said:
Those are the textbook symptoms of hypothyroidism. I agree with Holly...and do it ASAP. I would try to find a naturopath also. There are some great natural ways to treat this especially with nutritional therapies and supplementation. Try to also find the endocrinologist.
Margo, I'm SO glad you're meeting with a naturopath.
When I read that you hadn't changed your eating or exercise habits, but had started to gain weight, I immediately thought of Brendan Brazier's similar experience. In his case, he said that even though he had been burning more calories than he was taking in, that he had continued to steadily gain weight. Brendan said he figured out that he had been overtraining and the stress led to his body making too much cortisol and that resulted in his weight gain and inability to lose weight. This is a big reason he emphasizes getting your stress under control.
It looks to me like you are experiencing the relatively early stages of adrenal fatigue and that it hasn't gotten so bad that your thyroid is acting up yet.
Have you read any of the discussions posted in the adrenal fatigue group? Some of them talk about the difference between low thyroid and adrenal fatigue. And talk about an adrenal function test that your naturopath could do for you. Whatever it may turn out to be, these articles will give you something more to discuss with your doctor.
In the meantime, I'm knowing that you will get it all sorted out and be feeling super again soon.
Many blessings.
Your symptoms fit well with either food intolerances or inadequate fat intake. These are just some thoughts for you...
Some great advice on this thread... most definitely get tested for Celiac. My daughter has Celiac, and we've learned so much about it. 1 in 133 people (that's 10%) HAVE Celiac Disease, and only 10% of those people are ever tested/diagnosed. Could lead to some serious stuff down the road.

Regarding AF, please be sure your ND does saliva cortisol testing for you. This should test your Cortisol at various points during the day and night (I believe 4 or 5 times a day), as your Cortisol levels naturally rise and fall. Any deviation off this can affect our bodies and lead next to Thyroid issues.

Sleep. Something I still constantly battle. I am hoping that completely changing to a raw diet (or as much as possible without stress) will help here. Sorry I can't comment more on helping in this department (if it is an issue)...

Keep us posted and being aware there is an issue is step one! You will recover...

ken
hi ken. go to killcandida.com. check out all the advantages of this product. my husband was diagnosed with severe acid reflux 13 years ago. after much researching, i found this product, and found out that it is really leaky gut syndrome that's been causing all his pain. after 13 years of prilosec and still burning guts, snoring, sleep apnea, regurgitating in the middle of the night, i found this probiotic. i should do a commercial for them! in less than 30 days the snoring is 99% gone, no more sleep apnea, no more gurgling noises during the night, he sleeps straight through and now i do; because he's not waking me up from SNORING like a cow all night! my 9 year old son is on it now. he only takes one a day. i am truly enjoying this product!! check out the website, give them a call, email them, they're very friendly folks, they guided us through recommended dosages for each of us.
good luck ken.
Ken Wilkens said:
Some great advice on this thread... most definitely get tested for Celiac. My daughter has Celiac, and we've learned so much about it. 1 in 133 people (that's 10%) HAVE Celiac Disease, and only 10% of those people are ever tested/diagnosed. Could lead to some serious stuff down the road.

Regarding AF, please be sure your ND does saliva cortisol testing for you. This should test your Cortisol at various points during the day and night (I believe 4 or 5 times a day), as your Cortisol levels naturally rise and fall. Any deviation off this can affect our bodies and lead next to Thyroid issues.

Sleep. Something I still constantly battle. I am hoping that completely changing to a raw diet (or as much as possible without stress) will help here. Sorry I can't comment more on helping in this department (if it is an issue)...

Keep us posted and being aware there is an issue is step one! You will recover...

ken

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service