Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

So as a gym owner and long time fitness enthusiast, at age 36 I am going Vegan as of...right now. I have been reading Thrive and also a book called Becoming Vegan. I am convinced of the nutritional validity of a Vegan diet and can find no other reason to not go Vegan other than for the sake of convenience. 

After I announced this on my facebook page/pages I got an overwhelming response. It's crazy the reaction that a simple change in diet can incite. I am finding that people are either supportive, or simply are against it as it poses a threat to their way of life. My family mocked me tonight at a New Years Eve party and I just left. I was wondering if this is common place for most of you. Have you met this opposition?  Has it come straight from your family?  Thanks fort sharing and kick ass in 2011.

Micah

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Made a three day supply of my base stock last night. I'm finding that like any diet, preparation is the key. I cook two cups uncooked quinoa mix (a mix with black beans, extra firm tofu, garlic and curry) and I simply add different veggies and proteins throughout the week. This way I have a base mix that is readily available and I can take with me if I need to. Things like this are making it easier to stay not just Vegan, but on the performance side of the Vegan diet.
I know exactly what you mean. My co workers, friends and family were very opposed to me being vegan. Once I dropped from 170lbs to 158 and started building lean muscle they started to shut up. Now that I'm settled into a routine and people see a positive change they support me and ask questions instead of ridiculing me. Haha good luck with your goals, I too am going for the ripped, tattood vegan look
So many great responses and the opposition continues, fueling my passion and solidifying my desire to kick ass!  I love it, feel great, am using more recipes, finding more and more way to get my protein in, satisfy my hunger and my longings for my old favorites (sushi a big one). My strength is going up, body fat going down and my energy up and sustainable.
Ya I just had some decent Vegan sushi as of last Friday and I finally have hope. I actually liked it and found a great tasting Vegan sushi and fulfill the emptiness that was left deep inside me...I really love sushi! So stoked about this and my little cheat is actually fairly healthy. Win win.

Robert Beckett said:
I still have sushi but what I stop and get is Yam Sushi Roll on brown rice. :)
mmmm I loooove sushi :) I shared some with friends yesterday: Yam roll, veggie roll, spinach gomae, and agedashi tofu :D love avocado rolls, too!

Micah, 

I strongly suggest you do some research on raw vegan. I've been vegannish most of my life and just started on a 100% raw vegan diet today. If you're impressed by the changes you've experienced so far, there is still a lot more to be had by going raw. My decision to go raw was solidified by finding a number of bodybuilders and athletes who are getting phenomenal results without any supplements. When you eat live foods, recovery is lightening fast, and that's what makes all the difference. 

Totally agree Micah, I have been a raw vegan long distance runner now for 10 years and you are right about brilliant recovery but also fantastic energy all the time even the next day after a hard workout.  Just pure, natural, unprocessed, fresh and organic fruits are all you need to fast recovery and instant belonged energy. Vegs, sprouts, nuts and seeds and many other foods to build a very strong, resilent body that will last.  I just keep getting fitter and leaner as the years go by and never suffer from any illness.

L.J. said:

Micah, 

I strongly suggest you do some research on raw vegan. I've been vegannish most of my life and just started on a 100% raw vegan diet today. If you're impressed by the changes you've experienced so far, there is still a lot more to be had by going raw. My decision to go raw was solidified by finding a number of bodybuilders and athletes who are getting phenomenal results without any supplements. When you eat live foods, recovery is lightening fast, and that's what makes all the difference. 

Absolutely no supplements. The point of eating raw is to eat live foods...nothing processed. Many, myself included, eat supperfoods like wheatgrass, hemp seeds etc. but no supplements in the traditional sense. 

As Jane said above, the energy levels go through the roof. After loosing 18lbs on a 22-day cleanse, I went back to the gym yesterday for the first time in about a month and was able to complete 80% of my reps on the same weight as before the cleanse, and that's despite the weight loss. You figure my muscles would be sore today but I feel like I could go back to the gym today.

Raw is simply amazing. Funny thing is, it's just going back to our natural state of consumption. Another incredible benefit is that your body actually gets younger on this diet. There are numerous videos on youtube of raw vegans in their 50's to 70's who look 10, 20 years younger. There's even a 109 y/o guy who lives alone, drives and is writing his second book on how to stay young. The guy looks like he's in his 80's and fully coherent.

Robert Beckett said:

Bodybuilding without sups? Really? No Creatine or Glutamine or anything?

Totally agree.  I am not 100% raw [most raw foodists aren't]--I am closer to 70-80%, depending on a season.  I am a fitness trainer.  I teach 10 classes a week, doing everything my students are doing, including weights, with no supplementation.  My husband is more into bodybuilding and has no issues whatsoever.  Check out his muscle. 

Clean, organic, fresh [mostly raw] foods are a great source of everything you need. 

L.J. said:

Absolutely no supplements. The point of eating raw is to eat live foods...nothing processed. Many, myself included, eat supperfoods like wheatgrass, hemp seeds etc. but no supplements in the traditional sense. 

As Jane said above, the energy levels go through the roof. After loosing 18lbs on a 22-day cleanse, I went back to the gym yesterday for the first time in about a month and was able to complete 80% of my reps on the same weight as before the cleanse, and that's despite the weight loss. You figure my muscles would be sore today but I feel like I could go back to the gym today.

Raw is simply amazing. Funny thing is, it's just going back to our natural state of consumption. Another incredible benefit is that your body actually gets younger on this diet. There are numerous videos on youtube of raw vegans in their 50's to 70's who look 10, 20 years younger. There's even a 109 y/o guy who lives alone, drives and is writing his second book on how to stay young. The guy looks like he's in his 80's and fully coherent.

Robert Beckett said:

Bodybuilding without sups? Really? No Creatine or Glutamine or anything?
So cool, Robert! I'm gonna add you as a friend :)

Robert Beckett said:
Hey We live in the same town! Cool
I'm not responsible for other people's ignorance, therefore I cannot get upset by it. Good for you and good for your clients! If I lived closer, I'd teach cardio kickboxing for you!

Just joined the site. Love the site!!!!!

My wife and I speak about this all the time. She goes into details when faced with opp. On the other hand I just say to all, I'll do as I please and you do as you please! But it is weired that people feel that way. Well I do explain it to some who don't display opp. They say why did you stop eating meat,and I explain that I was preparing a chicken breast one day and just happen to stop and look at the breast and it just looked like what it was flesh, and I was completely turned off and have not eaten meat since that day. lol!!! The look on their face(s) is priceless.lol!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service