Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

Hey there, I will give some background on me and my goals, and I am hoping to get some feedback that can help me adjust my diet for my needs.

I am starting training for a marathon in December. It's my goal to complete it without walking. To do this I have started training but I am noticing my energy levels are SO depleted the next day I am having problems training 2 days in a row.

I am 25 years old, male, big build, 217lb. My goal is to lose 20-25 more lb while leaning up and building some muscle. But like I said I can't take full advantage of my potential because I am so tired half the time.

How can I increase my energy while losing weight but gaining muscle while Vegan? And the goal here for me is to not feel like I am starving.
Thank you!

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey there Brad,

The key here for you would be the focus on foods with high volumetric index that will fill you up with a low amount of calories.

A great way to start your day would be a vega WFHO smoothie. Focus on whole grains and lean meats and fruits and veggies and drink lots of water throughout the day.
Thanks Carl,
I am a strict Vegan so I am unable to eat a lot of foods that seem normal for most including meats. This makes it a lot more difficult to manage calories (sometimes getting too many and sometimes getting way too little)

Carl Johnston said:
Hey there Brad,

The key here for you would be the focus on foods with high volumetric index that will fill you up with a low amount of calories.

A great way to start your day would be a vega WFHO smoothie. Focus on whole grains and lean meats and fruits and veggies and drink lots of water throughout the day.
Interesting how you say that. I only eat fish and no meats, how does this make it hard for you to manage your calories?

I would really say that upping your veggie and fruit intake as well as drinking lots of water throughout the day would make a huge difference.

Also some type of green tea two times a day sometimes a bit before meals would be a good idea in my opinion. Make sure to get a hearty breakfast and maybe stop eating after dinner if that is a weak snacking time for you because it is for lots of people. Many skip breakfast or eat a very small one and as a result get very hungry before bed. Not saying this is you but it is a very common thing. Like they say, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a peasant, or something like that. You get the gist.
Long distance runners training for a marathon require a balanced diet of carbohydrate, protein and fat. Good nutrition is needed to get through 26.2 miles of a marathon, and helps to ensure the race is finished without suffering any ill feelings. Carbohydrates should make up 50-65% of the diet when training for a marathon in order to maintain energy levels. If a marathon runner does not consume enough carbohydrates, he or she may suffer from hypoglycaemia (a very low level of sugar in the blood) during training.

The best sources of carbohydrates are known as complex carbohydrates, which release energy steadily and maintain stable blood sugar levels. Some examples of complex carbohydrates include pasta, potatoes, rice, wholegrain breads and cereals, oats, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables.

Protein is important for rebuilding and repairing muscle tissue, and should make up 20-25% of the diet. Good sources of protein include fish, lean meat, skinless chicken, eggs, low fat dairy products, beans, nuts, seeds, tofu and other soy products, or various meat substitutes.

Fats should comprise 15-25% of total calories in the diet. Some important functions of fats include the absorption of fat soluble vitamins, joint lubrication, and energy production. Good sources include oily fish, nuts, seeds, avocados and many cooking oils (including olive and sunflower).

Take a look at your Carb intake (and what type of carbs) and adjust your diet to help keep your energy up and to get through the runs. If you are eating the right carbs weight loss is going to follow.
I worked for Team World Vision for the ING Miami Marathon and one of the things that they told us is to make sure you're eating on your longer runs. Are you bringing foods with you as you run? That will help you continue as you train. I wasn't a vegan or vegetarian at the time so I would train with GU I don't know how healthy it is but there has got to be alternatives out there.
Fruit is a great source of carbs and also good for energy. Why don't you start the day with a green smoothie.
Green juice is also great for an energy boost. Also, I'd recommend getting chia seeds and making 'puddings' with them. Good luck!
Thanks Sarah. I actually do both of these already, but I appreciate your comment. :)

Sarah V said:
Fruit is a great source of carbs and also good for energy. Why don't you start the day with a green smoothie.
Green juice is also great for an energy boost. Also, I'd recommend getting chia seeds and making 'puddings' with them. Good luck!
Take dates with you! They digest quickly & easily, & give you the energy you need to keep going :)
hey brad - i know i'm late on this, but i had a few thoughts reading your post:

- not to be a total buzz-kill, but do you drink alcohol? it's not only an energy-zapper, but a sneaky source of extra calories that don't do a thing for you.

- do you use any artificial sweeteners? they drain energy and make you crave sweets/feel false hunger.

- are you sleeping well? i know it's not food-related, but it makes recovery dang-near impossible.

- and are you refueling right after you work out? it makes a HUGE difference!

- do you eat sugar other than from fruit or a tinyyyyy bit of agave? added sugars tax the adrenals and make me feel tired as a mother.

- and no-BS: how much packaged food do you eat? i had no idea how much the additives messed up my energy until i came off them. freaky stuff.

just some random thoughts. also, i definitely feel my best when i "front-load" my calories: eating more earlier in the day, and tapering off as time wears on. hope this helps, and don't give up! running a marathon is an awesome goal - keep at it!
-rebekah
Hi Brad

I am not a runner or a nutritionist I just run for fun and to keep myself in shape. My new years resolution was that this year I do a Marathon and become a vegetarian. I used to eat everything and never did much running. I stopped eating meat and started training actually for a Half marathon at the same time , and had the same problems then you, felt very tired at the beginning. So here is what I did : I was training in the morning so if I could get up at least 90 min. earlier I had a blueberry carob bar from Brandon's Thrive Diet or a carob energy pudding , if I got up and hit the park all I had was a Vega sport ( with one serving of vega sport I was able to do 6 or more miles )During the runs I mixed coconut water with water and lemon juice and I was drinking that. After running I always had a recovery shake or just a Vega sport protein and I was good for 2-3 hours with that. At the beginning of my training I feel tired after running and had to go to work after that so I didn't had time to rest , I got a big cup of green juice in the local health store and it really made a difference within minutes I started to feel better , my energy level was back and even higher. For the rest of the day I had fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, beans and lentils , brown rice and wild rice . Dinner was light some salad with nuts or lentil or split pee soup and I had a good night sleep. In the morning I was better then ever and ready to hit the park again. Beside the running I did weight training, too at least twice a week and kick-boxing once.
I have trained for 3 months and did a half marathon in 2:07:18 sec.
I did this without eating meat or pasta or GU and had no injuries or pain and lost 10 lb on the way.
This is my own experience I did my own research and tried out things and find out what works for me the best. I hope it helps or at least gives you some inspiration to experiment and find out what works for you.

Ildiko

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service