Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

So I discovered vega whole food optomizer a few months ago.. thought it looked great.. read about it, knew someone who used it.. all sounded good

I would have it every morning (2 scoops) in a shake, normally with a banana and coconut milk or something similar.

A few months ago I started getting terrible gas.. all day, really foul gas.. really embarrasing.. I thought there was something wrong with me.. though I had some real digestive issues.

Turns out it was the Vega all along. I started getting suspsicious the past few weeks, realized that I was mostly farting the first half of the day.. then logically I started to think it was the Vega.. so I looked it up online and to my suprise found many other people complaining of gas, bloating, and many people actually getting violently ill even ending up in the ER after using the stuff.

I will never use any Vega product again. I didnt have my shake today and voila NOT EVEN a single fart today.. and to think I actually thought there was something wrong with me!

Not to mention Vega also has a lot of Iron in it - excess Iron in the body has been linked with cancer, heart problems, diabetes, impotence you name it. Most people get plenty of Iron from there diet, yes even vegans.. why? because vitamin C increases Iron absorbtion by 6 times, so even if your not eating meat, if your eating fruits and bell peppers and grains/beans/seeds your getting plenty of Iron.

Also I no longer agree with the idea of multivitamins or these kinds of powders.. It cant be healthy to take 100% RDI of all your vitamins tec in one go, its a shock to the system, better to let nutrients ingest slowly over the day.

I dont know what is in this vega stuff but its actually scary what its done to some people. Sequel needs to get there act together and figure it out if they want to stay in business.

It may be the inulin.. im not sure - but I will never use these products again.

Views: 9059

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Taking RAW enzymes and probiotics really helped me and I have never felt better.  I have only been doing Thrive for about a couple of weeks tho...

Hi all,

I'm not new to the world of protein blends - as I have been mixing my own versions of pea/hemp/rice proteins (+ additives) for quite some time...vega was a great find because it had everything I already used + more.

I just want to shed some + light on the product ( I would hate to see it discontinued...)  Been using vega smoothie infusion, and the smoothie 2 go products + the acai/lime prewo sports drink for quite some time now (6+ mos) and have not experienced any neg effects.  I never used it first thing in the AM as I prefer to have solid food for breakfast.  I blend it 1:1 with pure hemp protein, coconut/almond milk + banana...always after strength/endurance training and on non training days I use the same shake not to replace  but to supplement 'smaller' meals.

I can't help but notice that most ppl who seems to be having problems with it are taking it first thing in the morrning...not all products are made for everyone, but I hope that those who have had success with it outnumber those who can't use it :P

I have been using the Vega WFO for about 6 days now.  For the first couple of days everything was fine, but since Friday I've been having terrible, stinky gas (and cramping-like pain in the lower (mostly right side)) of my abdomen.  I eat a healthy diet for the most part, no junk, lots of veggies, raw and cooked, all whole grains, nothing processed, no wheat, etc. 

My stomach cannot tolerate milk products though (I don't know yet if this is lactose intolerance or an inability to digest casein but I will know soon), and unfortunately the symptoms that milk products give me are exactly like those of this Whole Food Optimizer.  I was so excited to try this product that I bought the big one and now I'm not sure if I should continue...

I did test (moderately) positive for Candida by my Naturopath (with no other food allergies thru a blood test), and now I'm worried that instead of WFO being an answer to keeping candida at-bay thru plant-based supplementation it may instead be feeding it!    

Since WFO doesn't have any milk product in it, it may be one of the proteins that my stomach is not digesting/tolerating causing the gas?  Which also may be my problem with milk.  It is also postulated by my Naturopath that I have low stomach acid and possibly lack certain enzymes to digest foods.  I thought the enzymes in WFO may help.  One positive thing I did notice is that since starting the WFO I am having more solid BMs instead of soft ones that break up when you flush.  Sort of sounds like two things could be going on here, one good and one not-so-good. 

I don't know what to think.  To continue or not continue?  This stuff was expensive...

My advice is not to continue using the product. If it is causing you those symptoms like it did for me, stop using it. I stopped using it and all those bad symptoms went away right away. I cannot imagine using it ever again. I really thought I had something wrong with my digestive system, foul smelling gas all day long.. stopped using Vega and im back to normal, maybe a few small farts through out the day like any other normal person.

I believe its caused by the Inulin.. its a lot of fiber and it ferments in your bowels causing foul gas. Inulin also feeds bacteria, your stomach doesnt digest it so it goes into your large intestine where bacteria feed on it. It can feed bad bacteria as well as good.. and lots of gas is not healthy, it can damage your intestines and cause pain, cramping and embarrasment.

There are some people who can tolerate it. Many who cant, like myself. It is not a "cleansing" reaction. Your body is not agreeing with it so stop using it. There are plenty of other ways to get your nutrional needs met that wont cause you horrible gas.

I dont know why Vega doesnt revise the formula to eliminate this problem. Then everyone could use it and be fine.. that would be the smart business move anyway. Its not like the product is going to lose its value if you take out the 1/2 ingredients that are causing the intense gas, and its not a minority of people, from reading these boards and other websites I get the impression at least half the people who use it experience this stuff. 

Read this about Inulin (http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html):

"Inulin is a known allergen reported in The New England Journal of Medicine in connection toanaphylaxis, a deadly shock. Also, inulin is a fructan—fructose polymer. Fructose and other fructans cause malabsorption of nutrients in 30% to 40% of individuals, and they have been implicated in the pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). That's not surprising—after all inulin is a potent laxative, known to cause diarrhea. And what usually follows diarrhea? Constipation, of course. In addition to bloating, flatulence and abdominal cramps caused by fermentation of inulin, alternating patterns of diarrhea and constipation is a dead-on accurate description of IBS's primary symptoms."

You guys can keep loading up on the stuff.. im good :)

This is a question for Victoria, PR Manger at Vega (Vega Victoria):

Can you please tell us if there is going to be any active research done into what may be causing gastrointestinal issues; gas, bloating and cramps, in some users of Vega Whole Food Optimizer? 

And further, if the formula/ingredients may be revised in the future to take care of this problem?

I am also emailing you this question directly.  Thank-you for your time.  L

I'd also like to know that answer to SquiLa's question. I have been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption and am unable to have anything containing fructans, including any amount of inulin. I've had to switch back to taking just a multivitamin instead of my daily serving of WFHO. Is there any chance Sequel might reformulate the WFHO without the inulin in the future for those of us unable to handle the inulin? Thanks.

SquiLa said:

This is a question for Victoria, PR Manger at Vega (Vega Victoria):

Can you please tell us if there is going to be any active research done into what may be causing gastrointestinal issues; gas, bloating and cramps, in some users of Vega Whole Food Optimizer? 

And further, if the formula/ingredients may be revised in the future to take care of this problem?

I am also emailing you this question directly.  Thank-you for your time.  L

Hi folks, 

I too would love to see a reformulation that addresses the whole intestinal irritation/gas/bloating issue, because I've had the same problems you're describing and so has my husband. We typically have our smoothies later in the  day, after a workout. In Victoria's reply, she mentioned that these are "typical symptoms of the human digestive system." I personally don't think excessive gas and bloating that is as disruptive as people have described here is typical, or they wouldn't be complaining about it. I think it may be a good investment for the company to look into. How many people have this problem that never report it on a message board and just give up using the product? Probably a lot. I've been using the WFHO for about a month and my symptoms are not getting better. I may give it another try if a reformulated version comes out.  

I took a little less than 1/2 a serving (like just fill to the line on the scoop) of WFHO every morning and chased it with a cup (or less than a cup) of soy milk. i used this for months and i never experienced any bloating/gas or anything, infact i was opposite of bloated. my stomach is much flatter when i use this than when i don't. i havnt used it for about a month and a half or so and i feel horrible! ive gained weight, i feel so tired and have headaches, everyday i say "i need my shake" (the reason i dont have it is cause i have no money! ) but i cant wait to start using it again. anyway i wonder if maybe the people who experience the gas/bloating are using too much?  or are perhaps not drinking enough water?
I used the whole food optimizer for over a month, and then had an extremely negative reaction, as if I had food poisoning. There is NO way this was a "detox" reaction - I have done many cleansing diets in the past and this was nothing like any detox symptom. I was just straight up ILL. It is troubling to read that others have had similar problems, and to see it described as a reaction to fiber. This makes me question the integrity of this company.

I have been doing further research on myself.  I have been taking chlorella supplements (organic broken cell wall chlorella tablets), daily, about 1.5 - 2 g per meal (3 times daily) and have not experienced ANYWHERE NEAR the reaction and side effects (the foul, persistent, heavy gas, cramping & bloating) as I did with WFO. 

The recommendation by Victoria to start off slow, with only 1/4 scoop per smoothie did not work either. I did this every other day (no shake every 2nd day in addition).  It took a little bit longer for the gas to come, but it came alright.  I have not experienced the nausea yet, thank goodness!

It seems to me, or at least it makes sense, that the WFO could be reacting with something else that one ate that day, around the same time as taking WFO (perhaps a 12 hour window)??  This is just a guess though.   It's a shame that the company doesn't seem to be doing experimentation like this themselves. 

I also read that inulin can lead to nausea in large doses - is it possible that the product could somehow not be mixed in the container really well, therefore one scoop would contain a lot of inulin by accident?

There are 2 separate issues going on here it seems. One is the horrible gas and cramping, the other a violent, without-warning nauseas reaction.  I hope my information will help if anyone is trying to figure this out.

I appreciate that you are taking these reports seriously, and searching for an answer. In that vein, additional info:

- What I experienced was more than "without warning nauseous reaction". I vomited until I was dry-heaving *and* had diarrhea for a full 8 hours after consuming Vega. I was severely dehydrated and weak even though I drank a ton of water and other fluids. 

- I had been mixing vega with coconut water. I only used one scoop at a time. 28 times I did this with no ill effect. On the 29th time, I got sick. I thought the coconut water must have been bad, so the following week I tried mixing the vega with almond milk. I got sick. Both times I did have a cup of coffee about an hour after the vega. It was from a popular coffee shop, so I do not think the coffee was the source of the poison, but it's possible that it did interact with the vega. That is the only thing besides vega that I had both days I got sick. 

SquiLa said:

It seems to me, or at least it makes sense, that the WFO could be reacting with something else that one ate that day, around the same time as taking WFO (perhaps a 12 hour window)??   

There are 2 separate issues going on here it seems. One is the horrible gas and cramping, the other a violent, without-warning nauseas reaction.  I hope my information will help if anyone is trying to figure this out.

This used to happen to me till I split the dosage.  Now I do 1 scoop in the morning then 1 scoop when I come home after the gym.  I think on the label it says to gradually work your way up starting even with half 1 scoop up to 2 scoops try that or try what I do.  

L-

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service