Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

I started taking Vega WFO when it first came out. 5?? years ago now? I've lost track.

Anyways, I stopped for a long while, and recently re-started.
Funny thing. My stomach doesn't seem to be agreeing with it this time around.
Has the formula changed since it's first incarnation?
Does anyone else experience issues? (Bloating? Gas? Other??)

Maybe my body chemistry has changed, but I don't think that's the sole reason.
Any feedback would be great!

Dom

Views: 1600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a few snippets of info from Wilki: Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) also sometimes called oligofructose or oligofructan, is a class of oligosaccharides used as an artificial or alternative sweetener. FOS exhibits sweetness levels between 30 and 50 percent of sugar in commercially-prepared syrups. [1] Its use emerged in the 1980s in response to consumer demand for healthier and calorie-reduced foods. The term oligosaccharide refers to a short chain of sugar molecules (in the case of FOS, fructose molecules). Oligo means few, and saccharide means sugar.

Because of the configuration of their osidic bonds, fructooligosaccharides resist hydrolysis by salivary and intestinal digestive enzymes. In the colon they are fermented by anaerobic bacteria. In other words, they have a lower caloric value, whilst contributing to the dietary fiber fraction of the diet. Fructooligosaccharides are more soluble than inulins and are therefore sometimes used as an additive to yoghurt and other (dairy) products. Fructooligosaccharides are used specially in combination with high-intensity artificial sweeteners, whose sweetness profile and aftertaste it improves.

All inulin-type prebiotics, including FOS, are generally thought to stimulate the growth of Bifidobacteria species. Bifidobacteria are considered as "Friendly" bacteria. This effect has not been uniformly found in all studies, both for Bifidobacteria and other gut organisms [6]. FOS are also fermented by numerous bacterial species in the intestine, including Klebsiella, E. coli [7] and many Clostridium species, which are considered less-friendly bacteria in the gut. These species are mainly responsible for the gas formation (hydrogen and carbon dioxide), which results after ingestion of FOS. Most people can eat 5-10 gram of FOS without gaseous discomfort, whereas others have problems with 1 gram. The estimated optimal dose for adults is around 5-10 gram/day [8][citation needed].

Dominick Ali said:
What's FOS?
I don't currently have a bottle of WFO.
Hmm.
Well if they didn't use these in the formula a number of years ago, that Could be the culprit I'm looking for.
I knew it had to be something. I tried it for 5 or 6 weeks recently with no improvement.
That would be great!
thanks!
Lisa.

Susan Paleniuk said:
For me it's a matter of the bloating from the FOS. I just rotate the products around in my smoothies and dont really pay attention to what they are designed for other than the Vega sport performance optimizer.

Vega Kelly said:
How does everyone feel about the difference between each of these products? Do they all make sense? Would it be helpful for us to do a blog post differentiating each one for the community? I'd love to get your feedback so we can get this in the works if you'd like to see it. Thanks!
As far as I know FOS has been in the products from day one, but I could be wrong.

Dominick Ali said:
Hmm.
Well if they didn't use these in the formula a number of years ago, that Could be the culprit I'm looking for.
I knew it had to be something. I tried it for 5 or 6 weeks recently with no improvement.
So how do you do the Thrive diet then if you have issues with FOS... i was diagnosed with fructose malabsorption 3 years ago and was on a fruit/grains/dairy/legume and some veggie free diet for 2 years and have now been eating a wider variety of foods. Legumes and most grains are still out and i have to watch how much fruit i eat and since starting thrive (about 70%) 3 weeks ago i just have pretty bad gas and i seem to poop a lot! So i just wonder what everyone who has these problems with FOS (which is largly a fructose problem) eat? I don't want to give up this lifestyle!! I think i'm good with 1 scoop of WFHO in my smoothie. Maybe its just too much fibre? but all of the foods in Thrive are fibre rich?
Help?!?
I find the yellow pea protein makes me bloated....
As far as I know, FOS is not an issue with most fruit. Don't let the fructo part fool you. There are glucose-fructose sub units in the structure, but it is not the same as straight up fructose. FOS is a complex sugar, not a simple one. FOS/Inulin is indigestible by humans It gets transported to the large intestine where it feeds microbes and can promote fermentation .FOS is extracted from fruits and vegetables such as bananas, onions, chicory root, garlic, asparagus, barley, wheat, jícama, tomatoes, and leeks. The Jerusalem artichoke and its relative, yacón have been found to have the highest concentrations of FOS of cultured plants.

Ani said:
So how do you do the Thrive diet then if you have issues with FOS... i was diagnosed with fructose malabsorption 3 years ago and was on a fruit/grains/dairy/legume and some veggie free diet for 2 years and have now been eating a wider variety of foods. Legumes and most grains are still out and i have to watch how much fruit i eat and since starting thrive (about 70%) 3 weeks ago i just have pretty bad gas and i seem to poop a lot! So i just wonder what everyone who has these problems with FOS (which is largly a fructose problem) eat? I don't want to give up this lifestyle!! I think i'm good with 1 scoop of WFHO in my smoothie. Maybe its just too much fibre? but all of the foods in Thrive are fibre rich?
Help?!?
How do you isolate it out as the culprit?

Eve Casavant said:
I find the yellow pea protein makes me bloated....
Most people who suffer from fructose malabsorption issues also have issues with FOS. Has anyone heard of FODMAP's?
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutr...
This might help explain why some people have sore tummys...

I followed the low FODMAP diet for the last two years against my will (as i want to be vegan but my body didn't), and am trying to find some way that i can incorporate Thrive and FODMAPS and still be healthy... i don't think its going to happen but i will keep trying to find a way!

Susan Paleniuk said:
As far as I know, FOS is not an issue with most fruit. Don't let the fructo part fool you. There are glucose-fructose sub units in the structure, but it is not the same as straight up fructose. FOS is a complex sugar, not a simple one. FOS/Inulin is indigestible by humans It gets transported to the large intestine where it feeds microbes and can promote fermentation .FOS is extracted from fruits and vegetables such as bananas, onions, chicory root, garlic, asparagus, barley, wheat, jícama, tomatoes, and leeks. The Jerusalem artichoke and its relative, yacón have been found to have the highest concentrations of FOS of cultured plants.

Ani said:
Help?!?
I believe that you have your problem and that if you have fructose malabsorption you have problems with FOS as well. What I was trying to point out is that FOS is not necessarily a problem ingredient in most fruits which is what I understood your previous comment to imply.

I personally have no issues eating fruit on it's own, but I do react to Vega and a number of food sources that have high FOS or Inulin content. Most reactive foods for me are in the vegetable category.

The article you provided a link to is very informative. However, some of it is simply not true. For instance I will cite this one example: The paragraph that states you will suffer from poor calcium and protein intake without dairy in your diet is utter nonsense. Whether you look at current research, or the fact that there are so many cultures is the world who do not suffer from either problem that use dairy sparingly or not at all says it all. We use an excessive amount of dairy in north america and suffer from more osteoporosis than any other nations. Dairy is food for baby calves just like your breast milk is food for your child, period. It's nutritional make up is geared towards the infant mammal of choice, not adults. Also, you must remember that this is processed food. Pasteurized, homogenized, and pumped full of chemicals to keep it from spoiling in the tanks as truckers go from dairy farms to processing facilities. Processed dairy is very acidic, it leeches calcium from your bones, it does not build them. There are several food sources including sesame seeds, almonds, and broccoli that have more usable calcium in them that your body can assimilate than dairy food without the fat content and other nasty stuff.. Raw goats milk is the closest thing to human breast milk available to us, and used sparingly is ok. However, it is near next to impossible to get because raw milk has been deemed illegal with the use of a stupid scare tactic that focuses on issues like possible bacteria contamination that can kill you. Well, if you don't wash fresh vegetables, even from your garden, you can ingest bugs that could kill you too. Raw dairy can be perfectly safe if you wash an udder, your hands, and milking container properly.

Here is on film on dairy by John McDougall, MD that is real eye opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJvrlwnEqbs&playnext_from=TL&...

There a couple of other foods mentioned in this article that no one can digest well because we as humans aren't engineered to digest them. Not digesting them without issue does not necessarily mean you have a 'condition'. The writers of this article state there is a lot of misinformation out there and that may be true. However, their content is also operating from the scope of the context they were educated with, and a lot of that is not necessary true either. Unfortunately for all of us, doing due diligence on stuff like this can take a long time.....

Ani said:
Most people who suffer from fructose malabsorption issues also have issues with FOS. Has anyone heard of FODMAP's?
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutr... This might help explain why some people have sore tummys...
I followed the low FODMAP diet for the last two years against my will (as i want to be vegan but my body didn't), and am trying to find some way that i can incorporate Thrive and FODMAPS and still be healthy... i don't think its going to happen but i will keep trying to find a way!

Susan Paleniuk said:

Ani said:
Help?!?
Here's what I think would be helpful to the community. Have a webpage where every powdered product is listed with columns that have X's and amounts in the boxes under categories such as Protein-Carbs-Omegas-Fiber-Probiotics-Enzymes, etc. That way people can see very quickly what the differences are between products. I have found myself bouncing back and forth from product page to product page trying to decide which product to use.

Vega Kelly said:
How does everyone feel about the difference between each of these products? Do they all make sense? Would it be helpful for us to do a blog post differentiating each one for the community? I'd love to get your feedback so we can get this in the works if you'd like to see it. Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service