Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

I run about 50 miles a week and have eliminated common allergens from my diet such as wheat, corn, dairy and soy.  I eat buckwheat pasta to boost energy for running and was wondering if anyone had any other "Carb" recommendations.  In other words, I would love to know what runners are eating for Carbs after eliminating common allergens...Thanks for your thoughts!!

Views: 167

Replies to This Discussion

What about sprouted grain pasta or tortillas? They are supposed to be amazing.
Great, thank you! I never heard of sprouted grain pasta...can you give me an example? Thanks again for your help!

Jessica Michael said:
What about sprouted grain pasta or tortillas? They are supposed to be amazing.
http://www.foodforlife.com/ You can find the Ezekiel 4:9 bread, etc. at a Whole Foods in the freezer section. I use their tortillas for chips. They have gluten free/wheat free breads.
Sweet potatoes and yams are my favorites. ALso some white potatoes in moderation are pretty good for you if you eat up the skin (I love the skin anyways). Try cooking quinoa, millet, and buckwheat groats too.
fruit is the best source of carbs! it's perfect running fuel. i also do really well if i eat my oatmeal and chia breakfast a few hours before i run. i usually eat breakfast at 5:30, grab a small handful of dates around 8, and head out the door a few minutes afterwards! and honestly, i do really well on beans... go figure!

i guess the more important things is what you shouldn't eat - fats before a run gives me cramps :(

hope this helps!
I love quinoa, sweet potatoes, bananas, plantains, and brown or wild rice. Millet is ok, some people recommend amaranth, but I don't have much experience cooking with it. Those foods fill me up the best. Most fruit is digested too quickly for sustained satiety, and it sometimes gives me acid belly.
Brendan was actually in town a few weeks ago and part of what i got from a question he answered had me thinking he eats a lot of fruits early in the day and goes to more fiberous veggies as the day goes on. I find i do well on fruits, salba, dates before a run with steel cut oats or brendan's pancakes to give more sustained energy (maybe an hour out). I'll even take dried dates on long runs and i don't have any troubles. Recently i started using the vega Sport drink and it seems good. My only concern with some of these is that late in the day they can effect your sleep... Depends when you run.... It also depends on the duration, dates obviously wont sustain a long effort. Rebekah's plan makes some sense to me the oatmeal and chia would sustain a longer effort while dates would give a shorter term fuel source...
Congrats on eliminating the allergens in your diet!  That's a big leap!  I totally understand where you are coming from, I have a severe allergy to soy and an intolerance to wheat, gluten, dairy and some nuts.  I like any fruit, for quick energy (love dates) but for sustained energy try other grains like quinoa (high protein), buckwheat, amaranth, millet and of course brown rice.  Are you looking to go raw?  I like to sprout quinoa and add it to a big salad of veggies or fruit.  I love Brendan's buckwheat pancakes, but I use them like I would tortillas, crackers or bread and load them up with whatever toppings I have around the house.  Everyone is different and it takes some experimenting to see what works for your digestive system.  There are brown rice and quinoa pastas also, but you have to experiment to see how you digest them.  Some people find them difficult to digest and do better with the whole grains in their natural state.  Tinkyada mades allergen-friendly brown rice pastas that taste great and only contain brown rice, rice bran and water.
how about Quinoa?

lots of things - i found a black bean pasta & mung bean pasta (more protein in both than the average pasta - gluten free).  veggies (broccoli,spinach), fruit (apples, pears).  - yam fries, or even just yams cut up and baked (sometimes i'm lazy)  pizza with rice based (gf) crust or the pizzas from the thrive book.    pre-run dates are great (if you like em).  coconut h2o

and actually - i don't worry so much about carbs as i used to (i mean i still try to get a LOT - but not in the same way as before).

you might get more than you think.  there is a website called myfitnesspal.com (i think - i have the app on my ipod touch - it's a free site).  you can put in what you eat and it will give you the daily carbs/fat/protein  etc.  i'm sure there are others as well.  

on a regular basis i try to be sure to always have protein, carb & fiber in my meals & snacks.  on training days i try to be more specific and get specific amounts of fat, carbs & protein (i saw a nutritionist who gave me what he would like me to get).

hope i helped a little 

hope all be wonderful

g'luck :)

Don't forget about spelt or farro.  Both high quality grains. 
Sweet potatoes are my favorite too! We cut them into large potato fries shape drizzle some olive oil and put them on the bbq for a few min AND season with Celtic sea salt :-)

J A said:
Sweet potatoes and yams are my favorites. ALso some white potatoes in moderation are pretty good for you if you eat up the skin (I love the skin anyways). Try cooking quinoa, millet, and buckwheat groats too.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service