Vega Community

share. learn. thrive!

Hi everyone, I'm new here on Vega and also new to the plant based nutrition (almost 2 months).  I did a 30 day intense cleanse (vegan with no sugar, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, and soy) and loved how I felt so I've continued on.  I'm very active as far as training but lately I've felt more muscle soreness.  I went out yesterday for a very slow walk/run (1 hr 40 min), tried to keep my MHR below 140.  My calves had beed sore from a couple of previous workouts, but when I got home they cramped up so much that I could hardly walk, it was super hot out too.  I didn't know if nutritionally I was missing something.  I used to drink a recovery drink (that I loved) but I cut it out because of the sugar and now I've been drinking coconut water with a little aqave.  Any ideas?
Thanks so much.  :)

Views: 80

Replies to This Discussion

how much did you drink? that long of a workout in the heat would require a TON of fluids. also, did you eat a banana or something in your workout to fuel your muscles?

just a thought! hope you feel better now!
Hi Rebekah, I'm usually very well hydrated but I'm guessing for the length of the run and the temp I probably could of used more. :(
From my experience, I have found that dehydration is usually the main cause of muscle cramping, but I would also check if there is a vitamin deficiency.  It could simply be lactic acid build-up.  However, I would check your supplementation, and levels of calcium, magnesium and potassium.  I have found that when one of these factors is just a bit off, I will experience cramping during or after a run.  Usually if I take a look at my diet and play around with the macronutrients a bit, I can target the culprit and correct it rather easily.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks Kerra, It got much better.  I'm hoping that it was just a one time water thing.  :)
From my experience, I have found that dehydration is usually the main cause of muscle cramping, but I would also check if there is a vitamin deficiency.  It could simply be lactic acid build-up.  However, I would check your supplementation, and levels of calcium, magnesium and potassium.  I have found that when one of these factors is just a bit off, I will experience cramping during or after a run.  Usually if I take a look at my diet and play around with the macronutrients a bit, I can target the culprit and correct it rather easily.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and keep us posted!
Glad to hear it, Linda.  I am new to the group, and even though the post was somewhat dated, I hoped that my experience would be helpful.  Thanks for letting me know that you were feeling better.  Seems like dehydration was the cause. 

Linda Huong said:
Thanks Kerra, It got much better.  I'm hoping that it was just a one time water thing.  :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Vega Kelly.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service